Skip to Content

Life at Vanderbilt

Health Insurance

arched windows and ceilings in Buttrick Hall

All international students attending Vanderbilt University are required to maintain adequate health insurance coverage, and are automatically enrolled in and billed for the Gallagher Koster Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan.

For detailed information regarding the insurance plan for international students, please see the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan brochure, or check out these other online resources:

Premium Rates
Health Insurance Waiver Request
FAQ: Insurance for International Students (by Student Health Center)
FAQ: Health for International Students (by ISSS)

Student Accounts

Your Student Account is a bill of charges and credits from University departments during your time at Vanderbilt. See the Types of Charges diagram for examples of the types of charges.

You must complete the Student Account Agreement and return it to the Office of Student Accounts. You may substitute your Student ID Number for the SSN requested on the form.

Payment Options

You may pay electronically. Please visit the Office of Student Accounts for further information. You may also pay using more traditional options:

  • Wire Transfer Information:
    Mellon Bank NA
    One Mellon Bank Center
    500 Grant Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15258
    Tel: (412) 234-600

    Bank Acct. Name: Vanderbilt Tuition Receipts
    ABA Number: 043-000-261
    Bank Acct. Number: 0005741
    Intl. Swift Number: MELNUS3P

  • Money Order:
    Make payable to Vanderbilt University

Please include student's name and social security number (account number) on all wires for identification purposes. Thank you!

classroom in class

Academic Resources

View the academic calendar, exam schedule, and general registration information at the University Registrar

Searchable course schedule

Instructions for using YES, Vanderbilt's online registration system

OAK (Online Access to Knowledge)

Vanderbilt Library System

How Do I...?

Kirkland Hall viewed through open window

Q: How do I activate my VUnetID (or create an e-password)?
A: In order to log into most web-based applications at Vanderbilt, including student accounts, financial aid, academic information (grades, class registration, etc.) and OAK, you will need to first set-up your VUnetID and E-password. To do so, visit and follow the online instructions to activate your VUnetID. During the process, you will encounter a page requiring the last five digits of your SSN (Social Security Number). Since you are an international student and not likely to have SSN, please use your Student ID instead. It works.

Q: How do I get to Vanderbilt University once I arrive at Nashville airport?
A: If you inform GEO of your flight itinerary in advance, we can arrange to meet you on campus upon your arrival. Your assigned on-campus housing will be available in August (for Fall and AY students) and January (for Spring students). Please note that if you arrive before that date, you will need to arrange to stay in a local hotel until your on-campus housing becomes available.

It is very easy to take a taxi from the Nashville Airport without a reservation. There are many cabs, and all use a meter to calculate the rate. You should expect that it will cost between $30 and $50 depending on the time of day you arrive and how much luggage you bring to go to Vanderbilt. Tell the driver that you are going to Vanderbilt University. Depending upon which residence hall you are living in, please give the driver the appropriate address (we will send the address of your hall to you via email before you arrive).

Another option is In Shuttle, a shuttle company that provides transportation services specifically from the airport to Vanderbilt's campus.  To book a shuttle, you must have certain information available beforehand.  See the website for quotes and information.  One-way trips from the airport to Vanderbilt's main campus is usually around $12.

Here is a link to a map of campus:

Q: After my arrival at Vanderbilt, how do I pick up my housing keys and temporary access card?
A: A representative from Vanderbilt may meet you at the residential hall. You can expect to receive further instruction from us prior to your arrival.

Q: Do I have access to wireless network on campus?
A: Yes. The university's wireless network is accessible from many on-campus locations. Go to for wireless coverage area. Before you start, make sure you have a wireless LAN card installed to your laptop. Support for on-campus wireless technology is available through the ITS Help Desk.

Step-by-step instructions for setting up wireless access on your computer, please go to For more information concerning the use of electronic resources at Vanderbilt, please visit

Q: How do I pay my tuition and fees?
A: As an exchange student at Vanderbilt, your tuition is waived. But you are responsible for prompt payment of all other charges associated with your semester of study at Vanderbilt. Such charges will include room, board, health insurance fee, student activity fees, books, etc. To make a payment to Vanderbilt, you first need to fill out the Student Account Agreement and submit it to Student Accounts at the Baker Building. Go to Student Accounts for detailed information regarding payment options and electronic bills.

Q: How do I get my Commodore Card (Student ID Card)?
A: You should obtain your student ID card prior to the first day of classes.ID cards are made in the Commodore Card Office, which is in Room 184 of the Sarratt Student Center, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.Remember to take a photo ID with you (such as your passport). Your card can be used as a debit card for vending machines, printing, and dining on campus. Make sure you have completed the Student Account Agreement Form and submitted it to Student Accounts in the Baker Building. To add money to your card after this form is processed, go to the Card Office's website. Select the "Students" menu item on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Add Commodore Cash," and follow the login instructions to continue.

Q: How do I get my textbooks?
A: Most textbooks can be found in Vanderbilt University Bookstore, which is located in Rand Hall on campus (322-2994). The hours are 8 am - 5 pm on Monday - Friday, 10 am - 4 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Many students also shop textbooks online (from websites such as Amazon), where prices are often lower.

Q: How do I request a transcript?
A: You may request an official transcript before the end of your last term at Vanderbilt. You can submit your request to the Registrar in writing or do it online using the AAI (Access to Academic Information). When placing an order, you can check "hold for grades." Once grades are posted for the term, the transcript is then generated and mailed to the address requested. Note that as a student of Vanderbilt, you can order an unlimited number of transcripts, free of charge.

Where to Get Help

Global Education Office. GEO offers study abroad and exchange programs for Vanderbilt students and assists non-degree seeking incoming exchange students.

International Student & Scholar Services. ISSS provides advice, counseling, and advocacy regarding immigration, cross-cultural, and personal matters.

Vanderbilt International Office. VIO facilitates individual and institutional connections between Vanderbilt faculty, researchers, staff, students, alumni and the larger world.VIO provides information and other resources relating to opportunities for research, study abroad, international academic programs on campus and about services for international students and faculty at Vanderbilt.

English Language Center. The ELC offers a full range of courses to meet the needs of English learners with varying strengths and objectives. There are six levels of courses at the ELC, from beginning to advanced.

student traffic